"In the Beginning, all America was Virginia."
William Byrd II
Next event
Featured Promotion

Learn about how the Equal Suffrage League of Virginia helped women gain the right to vote.

Equal Suffrage League of Virginia
We are thinking of Phyllis and her family today. She was a dear friend to VHS and an inspiring leader... t.co/KZiNaik3tY via @RTDNews

Silver in Virginia

Many of the items on display in this gallery were part of a gift from James H. Willcox, Jr.

This gallery is currently CLOSED for renovations. 

From 1802 to 1821, the state of Virginia did not rely on the federal government to arm its militia but manufactured its own weapons. This exhibition presents a comprehensive collection of the products of the Virginia Manufactory of Arms, a state-of-the-art, water-powered facility located in Richmond in the early nineteenth century.Colonial Virginians acquired much of their important silver from London. After the Revolution, population growth, a rising tide of prosperity, and the genteel aspirations of an expanding middle class greatly expanded the market for silver. By 1820, there may have been hundreds of silversmiths in Virginia, some working nearly alone, others as part of large establishments employing many journeymen and apprentices. After 1820, silversmiths dealt in finished goods manufactured in large eastern cities, and after 1850, many silversmith shops came to be called jewelry stores.
 
This exhibition, organized by location, includes not only silver produced in major urban centers, such as Alexandria, Norfolk, and Richmond, but also works crafted in small towns like Dumfries, Fincastle, and Waynesboro. Also included are some images of Virginia silversmiths themselves and place settings using silver, ceramics, and linens from the society's collections.
Silver tea pot Enter Fullscreen More information
Silver tea pot (VHS accession number: 2003.390.2, Lora Robins Collection of Virginia Art, Virginia Historical Society, Richmond.)
Federal-style silver teapot with oval body and marked twice on base. There is a sugar dish from the same set. William L. Campbell (1759-1815) came to Winchester before 1785, but we do not know if he practiced silversmithing at that time. He returned to Scotland where his son, Thomas Boyle Campbell (1796-1858)---also a Winchester silversmith, was born. He probably returned to Winchester by 1810 and worked there until his death in 1815. Holloware of this quality from the early 19th c. is very rare for Winchester. 25.40 cm x 33.02 cm spout to handle. (Lora Robins Collection of Virginia Art, Virginia Historical Society, Richmond)
Richmond Light Infantry Blues pendant Enter Fullscreen More information
Richmond Light Infantry Blues pendant (VHS accession number: 1998.113.A)
Richmond Light Infantry Blues pendant. A round silver pendant engraved: "R.L.I. BLUES / Va / 1793 / W. F. Watson / Honorary Member" on obverse. The edge of pendant has been scored. Reverse has no engraving. The pendant hangs from a simple silver chain. The pendant is in a blue velvet necklace box with a white lining. 1998.113.A - Medallion and chain. 1998.113.B - Necklace box.
Gold snuffbox Enter Fullscreen More information
Gold snuffbox (VHS accession number: 2000.252)
Rare American gold snuffbox marked William Mitchell, Jr. The top of the box has diamonds and a crown. On the bottom of the box in the interior is engraved: To / My Friend / Edward with William Mitchell's stamp. In 1911, the Prince of Wales's plumes were added to the lid and the box was presented by Edward, Prince of Wales (1894-1972), "To My Friend," whos is not identified. Edward became Prince of Wales in 1911, Kin Edward VIII in January 1936 and Duke of Windsor upon his abdication in December 1936. The inscription inside also reades "11 June 1911" and is signed in script "Edward." One of the duties of the king's private secretary was to accumulate gold and silver boxes, watches, cigar and cigarette cases, and similar items, to be given by the royal family as tokens of appreciation to those who performed minor services for them. Somehow, this rare Virginia gold box made its way to England for that purpose.
Silver tea service Enter Fullscreen More information
Silver tea service (VHS accession number: 2003.390.57.A-C)
Silver tea set. The tea service has double bellied bodies but slight neo-classical features also. The teapot has a dragon spout and wooden handle. The teapot and sugar dish have acorn-like finials. All of the other decoration is beaded. The firm of Cooke and White was formed by William A. Cooke and Andrew White as early as 1829 in Petersburg. Sometime later they opened a firm in Norfolk of Cooke and White. There were a number of other firms involving one or both of these individuals. The two firms continued in business until 1833 with the death of Andrew White.
Silver teaspoon Enter Fullscreen More information
Silver teaspoon (VHS accession number: 2003.391.69)
Silver teaspoon. James Geddy (1731-1807) worked as a silversmith in Williamsburg (1766-1777), Dinwiddie County (1777-1783), and Petersburg (1783-1807). In 1767 he advertised silver teaspoons, tongs, and shoe and knee buckles. After having imported gold and silver work from England, Geddy became a member of the Non-Importation in 1770. In 1771-72, he advertised mourning rings and all kinds of engraving were done at the same shop by William Waddill (he became a silversmith in Petersburg also). In 1774, he again advertised imported wares, but also made "country" items. He lived in Dinwiddie County from 1778-1783. In 1783 he made his final move to Petersburg and announced himself on Oct. 4, 1783, as a goldsmith and watchmaker. In 1790 he was in partnership with his two sons in the firm of James Geddy and Sons, but the partnership did not last long. He soon relocated to Bollingbrook Street and advertised for an apprentice. He died May 12, 1807.
Silver sauce ladle Enter Fullscreen More information
Silver sauce ladle (VHS accession number: 2003.390.22)
Silver sauce ladle with a fiddle handle. Armistead Truslow was an agent for Michael Gretter, a Richmond silversmith, in Lynchburg in 1813. In less than a year, Truslow owned the business, and by 1815 had opened an "elegant" shoe store in addition to the jewelry, silverware, and military ware. He died sometime around 1831.
Silver Tureen with cover Enter Fullscreen More information
Silver Tureen with cover (VHS accession number: 1959.2.A-B)
Silver tureen with two handles and cover, with the mark of Chaudron's & Rasch, Philadelphia, c. 1825-35. Simon Chaudron, a Frenchman, and Anthony Rasch were in partnership in Philadelphia after 1812. The tureen is embellished with applique and chased decorations. The cover has acorn shaped knob. Originally owned by George Plater Tayloe of Buena Vista, Roanoke County, Virginia, who possibly received it from Mount Airy, the Tayloe family seat in Richmond County, Virginia or from the Tayloe townhouse (now Octagon House) in Washington, D. C.Passed from George Tayloe Plater to his daughter, Anne Catherine Tayloe Langhorne (Mrs. John Duval Langhorne) of Lynchburg, Virginia and thence to her son, the donor. silver.
Silver tea pot
Silver tea pot (VHS accession number: 200
Richmond Light Infantry Blues pendant
Richmond Light Infantry Blues pendant (VHS
Gold snuffbox
Gold snuffbox (VHS accession number: 2000
Silver tea service
Silver tea service (VHS accession number:
Silver teaspoon
Silver teaspoon (VHS accession number: 20
Silver sauce ladle
Silver sauce ladle (VHS accession number:
Silver Tureen with cover
Silver Tureen with cover (VHS accession nu

Related articles in the Virginia History Explorer