Near Dogue, King George County
Built c. 1746; burned 1800 and 1917
Photograph: Virginia Historical Society
Cleve was the seat of Charles Carter, a son of Robert "King" Carter. The imposing exterior, inspired by English designs of the
type published by London architect James Gibbs, was evidence of the sophisticated taste of the ambitious Carter family. Cleve was
originally built with a hipped roof. In dramatic contrast to its dark brick walls were its light stone quoins, stone watertable, and
bold rusticated door and window surrounds on the principal facades. Two tall chimney stacks were silhouetted against the sky.
The seven-bay facade was the principal front, which faced the Rappahannock River; a five-bay elevation was given to the land
side. The river entrance opened to a broad three-bay entrance hall, on axis with a narrower one-bay stair hall. Nearly square
rooms flanked both halls.
Next: Tar Bay