Conditions of use for images
(active as of August 2008)
1. Images provided for personal or research use may be copied to another medium for study purposes, but may not be otherwise reproduced by the patron photographically or digitally without written permission of the Virginia Historical Society (VHS).
2. Only professionally produced images of items in the VHS collection are permitted for public presentation. VHS digital snapshots are not professionally produced and therefore are not to be used in any publication or on the internet.
3. Requests for permission to reproduce an image must be made by submitting a completed copy of the VHS Photo Order Form. Permission forms issued by other entities will not be used.
4. An image can be used only once for the purpose(s) listed in the Photo Order Form. All permissions are issued for the life of a project or program. A second use of the image in any one project or program constitutes a separate use. Additionally, each media in which the image appears constitutes a separate use, including book, periodical, dust jacket or cover, brochure, broadcast video, recorded video/DVD, streaming video, CD/DVD, E-book, or web site. Different versions produced simultaneously, such as textbooks for different jurisdictions, would count as one use. Any editions produced at a later time would constitute a separate use and must be applied for in writing.
5. The following is the basic credit line for all images unless otherwise specified:
Virginia Historical Society
When provided, the photographer's name must be used in the credit line. We ask that you follow these guidelines:
• Printed materials: credit line should be easily accessible
• Film, broadcast or video productions: include credit within the "Sources for Illustrations" or "Credits" section of the production
• Exhibitions: credit should appear in the exhibition area, preferably directly below or adjacent to the image
• Website: credit must be placed adjacent to the image along with a link to the VHS's web site, www.vahistorical.org
6. The VHS must be given one complimentary copy of any published work, including book, periodical, video, DVD or CD in which the image appears. The VHS must be provided with the web site address for images posted on the internet.
7. The accompanying caption or label should indicate any and all changes or alterations that have been made to the original copy, including cropping, tinting, or detailing.
8. Only photographic prints or 300 dpi (or higher) scans will be licensed for publication use. The VHS provides 72 dpi scans for personal or web site use only.
9. Images posted on the internet will be no larger than 72 dpi and 600 x 400 pixels. The VHS reserves the right to request the removal of its images from any web site.
10. The licensee or publisher cannot give permission to others to reproduce the image or any facsimile of it.
11. The VHS reserves the right to refuse to accept a reproduction order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of the copyright law. The granting of permission to publish by the VHS does not absolve users of materials from securing permission from copyright owners and payment of such additional fees as the owners may require if the VHS does not own the copyright or if the material is not in the public domain. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasions of privacy that may arise in copying and in the use made of the photographic copy.
12. The VHS reserves the right to limit the number of photographic copies, photocopies or scans provided to patrons; to restrict the use or reproduction of rare or valuable materials; and to charge different fees from those published on the VHS web site. The VHS may refuse to accept an order based on condition of the item or on issues regarding ownership or donor-instituted restrictions.
13. The VHS in no way waives its right to future use of any images or the right to grant others permission to use them.
14. Any exceptions or modifications to the above conditions will appear on, and be part of, this list of Conditions of Use for Images and must be agreed to by both parties.