September 15, 2009 – November 15, 2009
Gilt watch fob made for the C. F. Sauer Company, c. 1907, including miniatures of medals won at World’s Fairs. Purchased through the William Anderson Hagey Fund.
Glass bottle and wood crate labeled "Radium Water," "Blackrock Springs, Va.," "R. T.
Miller," and "Grottoes, VA.," c. 1920–30. Gift of Janet Lefferts in memory of James
Samuel Patterson, Round Hill.
Committee chair used in the Virginia State Capitol by the Virginia General Assembly in the 1960s. Purchased.
Confederate drum found near Seven Pines in 1935. Gift of Robert B. Bass, Richmond.
Beaded sash, possibly made by the Shawnee or Wyandot in Ohio, brought back to Virginia by Charles Johnston as a souvenir of his capture in 1790 (together with a published account of his captivity transferred to the library). Gift of Virginia Johnston Marsden, Elmira, N.Y.
Photograph of Hampton High School Football Team, Cheynes Studio, Hampton, 1912; photograph of a band in Harrisonburg, Morrison Studio, Harrisonburg, taken 9 October 1894. Purchased through the William Anderson Hagey Fund.
Cibachrome pinhole photograph titled Fruits and Flowers: Homage to Roger Fenton by Willie Anne Wright. Gift of the photographer, Richmond.
Papier-mâché doll, an artistic rendering of slave insurrectionist Gabriel Prosser, by George Hubbs, late 1970s. Gift of Barbara R. Grey, Richmond.
One Liverpool creamware plate with transfer image of the seal of Virginia in the center surrounded by 13 linked names of states, c.1790–1805. Purchased through the James H. Willcox, Jr., Decorative Arts Fund.
Bell chocolate glaze pottery statue of woman; seven gallon crock, gray with blue slip, by Keister, Strasburg; Bell crock, Strasburg; Samuel Bell molded pottery picture frame with eagle motif, inset with mirror. Bequest of Dr. Jean F. Wine.
“Leesburg, VA,” 1930s etching by Hirst Millhillen. Purchased through the Frank G. Byram Fund.
Set of three photographic prints, c. 1900, of Henry Towles House, a seventeenth-century structure in Lancaster County since demolished, and one print of the estate dock. Purchased through the Frank G. Byram Fund.
Photograph album of the Saal family; various crochet and hand embroidered tablecloths made by Mamie Saal; woven fabric by Hortense Saal Winston Rosenstock. Gift of Barbara Saal Bolton, Henrico.
Oil on canvas painting of the Richmond Armory and canal attributed to James Mooney. Gift of Heth Owen, Jr., Richmond.
Oil on canvas portraits of Robert Douthat II (1796–1828) and Eleanor Lewis Douthat (1799–1862) painted by William Dunlop. Gift of Eleanor Lewis Douthat, Richmond.
Nineteenth-century photographic prints of men, women, and children from the Stearns and Robinson families, primarily from Norfolk and Newport News. Gift of Elise Robinson Tuve and Cabell B. Robinson, Marblehead, Mass.
Presentation torch inscribed "BH Thomas / Compliments of Richmond Locomotive Works," late 1800s. Purchased through the Betty Sams Christian Business History Fund.
English "Sheffield" silver plate epergne with cut lead crystal bowls, c. 1820−40. Gift of Bensley H. L. and Maureen D. Field, Toano.
Benjamin Hodges Smith World War I accoutrement belt with a holster for Colt .45, a rifle bayonet for a Springfield 1903 rifle, a trench knife for hand to hand combat, 1918. Gift of George W. Sydnor, Jr., Fincastle.
The "Morgan-Hranicky" Mississippian ceremonial axe, about 1400 A.D., Smyth County. Gift of Wm. Jack Hranicky, Alexandria.
Cradle with carved German motifs, Shenandoah Valley, c. 1820–60; miniature sample or toy cradle, Shenandoah Valley, c. 1820–60; chair by Johnson Company, Mecklenburg Co., 1800s. Gift of Herbert R. Collins, Milford.
Entrenching tool crafted from a bayonet (found at Harpers Ferry), c. 1861−65. Purchased.