Library procedures and rules
Hours: Monday–Saturday 10:00 am–5:00 pm
1. Registration: On their first visit researchers are required to complete a registration form and show a government-issued photo I.D. that will be photocopied by the staff. To save time, you can download our registration form and bring it with you.
• Download form [PDF - 44.3k - link opens new window]
2. Permitted Items: All items not permitted in the reading room should be deposited in a locker in the front lobby prior to entry.
• Pencil/Paper, Identification, Small Purses/Wallets
• Note Cards and Legal Pad/Notebook
• 1 Three Ring Binder or 1 Folder
• Laptop (without case), PDA, Cell Phone (ringer off)
• Digital Camera (permission forms required)
download permission form [PDF - 15k - link opens new window]
• Pens, Markers, Highlighters
• Backpack, Briefcases/Laptop Bags
• Food/Drink, Large Purses/Totes
• Scanners, Coats, Umbrellas
Patrons may bring a bag upstairs to unpack needed items, provided the bag is returned to the lockers. Any personal materials brought to and taken from the reading room may be examined by the staff. Wireless internet access is available. Ask a member of the library staff for user name and password.
Activity in the library is monitored by video cameras and is recorded.
3. Collections: No library materials may be taken from the reading room.
Use only pencils when taking
notes. Pencils are available at the registration desk. Fill out a seperate call
slip for each item requested. Deposit call
slips (maximum of five) at the registration desk. Call slips will be checked before
a researcher leaves to ensure that
all materials have been returned.
4. Manuscripts: Only one folder may be examined at a time. Maintaining
the exact order of material
in a folder and folders within a box is important. Do not remove loose manuscripts
from folders or alter the arrangement
of items. No personal loose paper is allowed on the table when viewing a manuscript. Handle all manuscripts with care. Return all manuscripts to the registration desk. Photocopies must be made by staff.
5. Photocopies: Newspapers cannot be photocopied. Staff must copy: manuscripts, rare books, and maps ($0.25 / exposure).
Limited photocopying is available for some materials and is done
only by the staff as time permits. For reasons of extreme fragility or rarity, not all materials can be
photocopied. Whether or not it is feasible to copy particular documents will be determined by the librarian.
If copying is desired, do not remove
the item from its folder or box. Consult a library staff member for a photocopy
request form. A $15.00 service fee
is assessed when the daily total made by the staff exceeds 50 exposures, and for
each 50 copy lot thereafter.
Patrons may copy: non-rare books ($0.15 / exposure) and microfilm ($0.25 / exposure)
Pay for all copies at the registration desk before leaving the library.
6. Copyright: No materials from the Society's collections may be reproduced
in any form for public or commercial use without the Society's written permission.
7. Before you leave the reading room: The researcher is responsible for returning all materials to the registration desk before departure. Theft or mutilation of library materials will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
8. Last call: Requests for materials or photocopies must be made by 4:40 pm. All materials must be returned to the registration desk by 4:50.
The reading room closes at 5:00 pm. Please note that a limited number of materials may be placed on
reserve for use the following day.