Accession number: 1997.62
The elegant Georgian mansion, Wilton, was once located on a large plantation on the James River. The house was built in 1750–53 by William Randolph II and occupied by five generations of the Randolph family. General Lafayette used Wilton as his headquarters during the American Revolution. In 1933, when industrial development threatened the site, the house was dismantled and re-erected in the West End of Richmond.
An exact "doll house" model of Wilton has been carefully constructed and is in the "Becoming Virginians" gallery. Each room, with fine paneling and elegant furnishings, represents the wealth of some of Virginia's large landowners.