Protester with sign, "Bury Jim Crow"
(Copyright Richmond Times-Dispatch, used with permission)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. Look at these people. What do you think they are doing?
2. The first protester's sign reads, "Bury Jim Crow." What do you think this sign means?
3. Can you guess the ages of these people? Do they look young or old? Why might that be important?
4. The building that these people are in front of is Richmond's old City Hall. Why do you think the protesters chose this place for their demonstration?
5. If you were standing on the street during this protest, what do think you would be hearing?
6. Why do you think the photographer took this picture?
More "Jim Crow to Civil Rights in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom