Martin Luther King with students
(Courtesy of Virginia Union University, used with permission)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. Who is the man you see bending over in this photograph?
2. What do you think the girls in the seat are thinking? Why do you think that?
3. How are the students dressed? Why do you think that?
4. What do you think Dr. King is going to do next?
5. Do you think the photograph was planned, or did this scene happen naturally?
6. What might you want to say to Dr. King if you met him?
More "Jim Crow to Civil Rights in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom