Lunch counter sit-in, Arlington, 1960
(Copyright Richmond Times-Dispatch, used with permission)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. What seems familiar in this picture? Can you figure out what type of business these people are in?
2. What do you think the people seated at the counter are doing? What makes you say that?
3. What do you think happened right before the picture was taken?
4. Write a caption for this picture that best explains what you think this picture is about.
5. Pick two people in this photograph. What do you think they would be saying at the moment the photograph was taken?
6. Why do you think the photographer took this picture? What makes you think something important is happening here?
More "Jim Crow to Civil Rights in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom