Woman protesting in Richmond
(Copyright Richmond Times-Dispatch, used with permission)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. What do you think this woman is doing? What makes you say that?
2. Look at the sign she is carrying. What does it say? What do you think she means?
3. Look at the way this woman is dressed. Why do you think her clothes might be important?
4. There are people walking in the background of this picture. What do you think a person passing by this woman might think?
5. Look at the woman's face. Based on her expression, how do you think she feels?
6. Why do you think the photographer took this picture?
More "Jim Crow to Civil Rights in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom