Cutting Tobacco, Southside Virginia, c. 1900
(Accession number: 2000.186.93)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. What do you think this picture is of? What makes you say that?
2. How does this picture make you feel? Why do you say that?
3. Cover half the picture. How does this change what the picture is about?
4. Look closely at the second man from the left. What do you think he is going to do next?
5. If you could see to the left or right of the picture, what do you think you would see?
6. When do you think this picture was taken? What makes you say that?
More "Rural Life in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom