Hay wagon, Shenandoah Valley, 1932
(Accession number: 1994.125.603p)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. How many men are in the picture?
2. What are the men doing?
3. These men are farmers. Do you think they have a big farm or a small farm? Why do you think that?
4. Which man do you think is the more important? Why do you think that?
5. Think of three things that might happen that would make this job more difficult.
6. What machines can you think of that would make the farmer's job easier? What do you think would happen if these farmers purchased one of those machines?
More "Rural Life in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom