Lumbering, western Virginia, c. 1922
(Accession number: 2002.350.1.wwwwww)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. What do you think the picture is of? Why do you say that?
2. Describe how these men work. Why do you think their poles are so long?
3. What do you think happened just before the photograph was taken? What do you think is happening outside the frame of the picture?
4. What do you think the logs will be used for? Why do you think they are in a river?
5. Do you think this job is dangerous? Why or why not?
6. Do you think you would see people doing this work today? Why or why not?
More "Rural Life in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom