Auto Being Dragged Out of the Mud, 1917
(Accession number: 2000.186.454.b)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. What are the people in the picture doing?
2. What do you think happened right before this picture was taken?
3. What things in this picture look old? What things look new?
4. How would travel be different today if the roads you drove on were like this road?
5. If you were driving on a road like this, what would you want to bring with you?
6. Why do you think the photographer took this picture?
More "Transportation in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom