Launching of the "Herndon", Newport News, 1919
(Accession number: 2006.100.10)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. Estimate the number of people in this picture. What are they doing?
2. Is this picture old or new? What makes you say that?
3. If you could see to the right or left of the picture, what do you think you would see?
4. If you were in this picture, what do you think you would hear?
5. Looking at the picture from right to left, what do you think will happen next?
6. Why do you think the photographer took this picture?
More "Industrialization in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom