Mining at Tom's Creek, Wise County
(Accession number: 2000.186.343)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. Estimate the number of buildings in the picture.
2. How do you think the buildings were used? What makes you think that?
3. Cover the bottom half of the picture. How does this change what the picture is about?
4. Notice that the buildings do not rest on the ground. Why do you think they were built this way?
5. If you had to describe using just one word, what would it be?
6. Look at this picture, then look at the Turkeyfoot Mine picture. How do you think the two pictures are related?
More "Industrialization in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom