Engine Company #4, Richmond, 1911
(Accession number: 1991.1.21240)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. How many people do you see in this picture?
2. What might happen next in this picture? What makes you think that?
3. Who do you think is the most important person in this picture? Why do you think that?
4. If you had to write a new caption for this picture, what would it be?
5. How would a picture of a firefighting company be different today? How would it be the same?
6. Why do you think the photographer took this picture?
More "Urbanization in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom