Café, Norfolk, 1919
(Accession number: 2008.56.2)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. What do you think this picture is of? What makes you think that?
2. What do you think the man seated at the counter is saying to the man behind the counter?
3. What objects would you place on the counter that would belong?
4. If you were seated at the counter, what do you think you would smell? Why do you say that?
5. Compare the picture with the other picture of the Norfolk lunch room. How are they different? How are they similar?
6. As you look at both pictures, list three questions that you have.
More "Urbanization in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom