Weldon's Market, Richmond, early 20th century
(Accession number: 2001.230.799)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. How many people are in the picture?
2. If you could talk to one of the people in this picture, what would you say?
3. What don't you see in this picture that you think you should see?
4. In what ways is this store different from the store where you get your groceries? How is it similar?
5. Bananas grow in Central and South America. Describe how you think they got to this store.
6. Why do you think the photographer took this picture?
More "Urbanization in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom