(Accession number: 2001.345.1)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. This is a family picture. The parents are seated and the children are standing. How many children are there?
2. How old do you think each child is?
3. Describe how the people are dressed.
4. What does the background tell you about where the picture was taken?
5. The father is a farmer. What chores might each child do around the farm.
6. Describe what you think the mother's life might be like.
More "Women in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom