Tobacco Factory, Richmond, c. 1912
(Accession number: 2000.186.298)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. Estimate how many people are in the picture.
2. Describe how they are dressed.
3. These women are rolling cigars in a tobacco factory. Describe what the factory is like.
4. What do you think it would be like to work here?
5. If this picture was taken today, how do you think it would be different. How would it be the same?
6. Why do you think the photographer took this picture?
More "Women in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom