Girls of Ann Smith Academy visiting Stonewall Jackson's grave, Lexington, late 19th century
(Accession number: 1940.20.344)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. How many students are in the picture?
2. Can you find the man in the picture? What do you think his job is?
3. Describe how the people are dressed.
4. Where do you think this picture was taken? What makes you say that?
5. How does this picture make you feel? How do you think the people in this picture feel?
6. These students are visiting the grave of Stonewall Jackson. Why do you think the school thought it was important for the students to go here on their field trip?
More "Women in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom