Sorting Peanuts, Smithfield, c. 1913
(Accession number: 2000.92.432)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. Describe how the women in this picture are dressed.
2. These women are sorting peanuts in a factory. Describe what you think their jobs are like.
3. Describe what you think the factory is like.
4. What do you think it would be like to work here?
5. If this picture was taken today, how do you think it would be different. How would it be the same?
6. Compare this picture to the tobacco factory. How do you think it is different? How do you think it is the same?
More "Women in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom