Sheltering Arms Hospital, Richmond, early 20th century
(Accession number: 2001.230.1588.a)
Questions for classroom discussion
1. Describe the people in the picture. What is each person doing?
2. How is each person dressed?
3. Where do you think this picture was taken? What makes you think that?
4. Why do you think the photographer took this picture?
5. If this picture was taken today, how do you think it might be different? How do you think it might be the same?
6. Compare the women working in this picture with the women working in the tobacco factory and sorting peanuts. How do you think their jobs might be different? How do you think they might be the same? Which job would you rather have?
More "Women in Virginia" photographs:
Resources for Teachers
• Download activity worksheets to use in the classroom